Get Adobe Flash player

Formal Organization of Westville

Formal Organization of Westville

It was in July of 1896 that a petition consisting of 35 names was submitted to the Vermilion County Courthouse for an order of the Court requesting that Westville be organized as a Village.  Some of these names are still well known here.  Some of their children’s Great grandchildren still reside in Westville.  William Boyd, John Roberts, John Possolt, John Kelly, J.H. Dukes, Leonard Stark, John L. Moses, to name but just a few who signed the petition.

The following September, a meeting was held of the first Village Board at Westville, which had a population of 303 at the time.  Dr. Buford Taylor was the first Mayor, and J.B. Falcetti the first Clerk.  The Board consisted of six members: J.T. O’Neal, William Ashby, R.L. Brooks, H.T. Parker, James Leichty, and John W. Evans.  The meetings were held at Dr. Taylor’s home for a time, and then at Ballard’s Hall.  In 1902 the Village Hall was built on North State Street.  In 1897 Kellyville was annexed, telephone lines appeared in 1900, and electricity in 1901.

Until recently Westville was serviced by two railroads.  The C&EI and the New York Central.  (Big Four)

 

- back to top -