Get Adobe Flash player

First Official Record of Westville

First Official Record of Westville

In May, 1873, Westville, a station on the Danville and Southwestern Railroad four miles from Georgetown was laid out by William P. and E. A. West on the Southeast corner of Section 6.  At this time only two blocks were platted for record.  They were located on what is now West Main Street, just West of the railroad tracks.

The first merchandise business actually started in 1872 when Parker Ellsworth opened a mercantile business West of the railroad.  When they moved across to the East side of the railroad they sold out to Cook and Alexander and began a general mercantile trade.  In succession the business was sold out to the Dukes & Doops, then to Boone and Jumps Bros.  After just a short time they were succeeded by J.W. Lockett & Bros. who carried on a fair trade in general merchandise and buying country produce.

The first blacksmith business as such was established in 1872 by Jonathan Clayton, and upon his death was taken over by Mr. Holler, but after one year was sold out to J.F. Hutchinson.  This was not to be confused with the blacksmith shop run by Mr. Moses Scott for the convenience of himself and a few of his neighbors only.

- back to top -